Class Dojo is an online platform that we use at St. Botolph’s in a number of different ways. It is ultimately used to reward good choices that the children make on an individual, small group, whole class or whole school basis.
The Dojo points are awarded to the children and the children are given a reason for why they have earned it so that they know what they did that was a good choice. Some examples of what teachers reward children for are for: helping others, creating beautiful work or working hard. Children also receive points for achieving the Goodly Award, ensuring they are smart and ready to learn and being kind to others. In essence, children that follow the Goodly Rules and live our academy vision will receive dojo points. Any member of staff at St. Botolph’s can award dojo points to children, regardless of whether they are in the same class or key stage.
The children will have the change to regularly exchange their points and purchase items from the Dojo trolley. Items range from 10 Dojo points up to 50 Dojo points. Children can either spend them each week or save their points for a bigger prize.
Class dojo can also be used as an effective communication tool between class teachers and parents. There is a messaging service for individual one-to-one messages as well as a 'class story' by which the teachers can share events that are happening in the class and photos of the school day. We have found this a wonderful insight for parents, especially those of very young children.
At home, parents are able to review their child's progress with student reports and also communicate simply and safely with their child's class teacher. Class Dojo is 100% free for teachers, parents and students. Class Dojo is easily accessible and can be accessed via an app or internet browser. You can even award home Dojo points for good choices at home.
We ask that all parents, children and staff read and understand the home school agreement written below:
What will our staff do?
- Promote positive behaviour on Class Dojo
- Share information about events and activities happening in class and within the school
- Send out and reply to individual messages if required (During working hours)
- Post photos of children in class on the class story pages and allow parents to see a snapshot of learning within their children’s class
- Share links to useful websites, important/interesting information.
- Use Class Dojo to support the children in class and encourage their learning and behaviour.
- Maintain the highest professionalism and security settings at all time when using class dojo
- Automatically invite parents to join their child's Class Dojo page when they start in their class.
What do we expect our parents to do?
- Check Class Dojo for messages
- Make sure they appreciate staff well-being and not expect responses immediately (Even if the message has been seen by the class teacher)
- Use Class Dojo to structure a conversation about their child and what they have been learning.
- NOT screenshot or share any content from Class Dojo on social media or other messaging services.
- NOT use it as an outlet to be aggressive or confrontational to staff.
- Arrange to speak to a teacher if you have any concerns that you wish to discuss.
- Not use it as a replacement for face to face discussions.
Please note that any individual who uses Class Dojo to post abusive, defamatory, threatening or offensive comments about staff, pupils or the school will be removed from the site, either temporarily or permanently. Furthermore, any parents who are identified as copying content from Class Dojo to share on social media will also be removed as we need to protect all of our children and staff.
Any children that leave our schools will be removed one week after their last day. Any staff that leave our school will be removed at the end of their last day.
If you have any questions about Dojo or want to understand a little more about how it is used, please don’t hesitate to contact our School Dojo Mentor – Mrs Fisher.
Primrose Vale, Knottingley, West Yorkshire, WF11 9BT